Tuesday, July 08, 2003

So I was in Barnes & Noble last night, as usual, and I spot this book in mix: "The Complete Idiots Guide to: Freelance Writing"

Can you say, Matt Priestley, Freelance writer (this is where I pretend to be related to Jason and get my foot in the door)?

Now I have wanted to do a lot of things, but this seems to take the cake at the moment. First, it takes almost no education, as most big editors care less about talent than they do about deadlines. And while I admit that I'm not usually good with deadlines, I think this would change me. I would be so ecstatic to get a project to work on (no matter what the publication) that I would definitely go above and beyond what they want me to do.

I really would like to do a review on restaurants or movies or something of the like. Heck I'd do book reviews if they paid me. And actually, at this point (assuming the project wouldn't be too time-consuming) I'd do one for free just for the experience and the satisfaction of knowng my name is published...

Anyway, my first break seems distant at this point, but I do intend on writing the query letters and writing samples needed, just in case. I took a class during the fall semester called Mass Communications, where we learned the structure of the newspaper and magazine staffs as well as how to get published. I hope I still have my notes... But I also have a contact, this lady Diane Hudepohl, a freelance writer who regularly writes for Seventeen magazine (which I have approximately zero interest in, but hey...), so I have a great number of resources that I can use (including dear English major friends and teachers)... ;)

Well, that's it for now kids. Later I'm gonna write some about how TGIF is coming back to ABC this fall, and how this is the best thing ABC could have ever done seeing as how TGIF was such an integral part of my childhood.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home