Wednesday, March 17, 2004

"The prospect of leaving the country with little time to pack was undoubtedly appealing as I am never obliged to forgo a unique opportunity without good reason. On the other hand, I was also a smidgen naive to assume the weather in Quebec was a never-ending blizzard, which is probably the reason Toronto felt twice as hot as Tampa and half as comfortable, proving my stacks of sweaters useless that scorching mid-July. Nevertheless, I needed grand tales of adventure to tell the masses upon return, so I was determined to make the most of the journey despite the unsuitable attire. I am always looking for the photograph in my surroundings, or the perfect script in all this beautiful mess. And this jaunt was a subtle, yet profound experience I had longed for.

This journey was a conference in Waterloo for young Christians and was billed as for the adventurous type, but I soon discovered that this adventurous type rarely come from the states. Most of the participants were, in fact, native to Quebec and were rarely beyond the Toronto area, about one hour southeast of Waterloo. There is something particularly riveting about travelling alone to a destination lacking any type of familiarity, but upon arrival, the warmth of the hosts discounted any expectations of awkwardness. Unpacking in a small loft above a garage, I immediately felt at home in its quaintness, and being about a foot taller than the couple I stayed with, the low ceilings were reminiscent of a hobbit hole which added to the conversation and the coziness of the setting.

The conference itself was held at a local University and consisted of three classes per day for the first week, mostly teaching us effective ways to study the Bible..."

Don't mind me, I'm just tweaking and finishing. I have to hurry up, and this is the easiest way to track my progress...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home