Monday, April 18, 2005

One thing about which I haven't been blogging is my incredible experience with the Arizona Deaf Theater Company, and it's not for a lack of interest, but more just dissatisfaction with my inability to describe such things in a way that matches my love for them.

(I also felt that I should keep this one to myself to protect it from being “skimmed,” but I figure that doesn’t really cheapen it for me.)

Today was the cast party, which means all the performances are over, all of which went very well. We were actually asked by a certain big-named school to perform it again twice in May because they were so impressed, but the times and dates conflict with our individual schedules.

Deaf people are amazing. I just sit there and watch them converse and realize that the whole language they have, the devices they use... These people have adapted so phenomenally well with their differences. But I guess it’s a bit thoughtless of me to call deafness a thing requiring adaptation, because every person born is born adapting, learning how to use what they’ve got. In that sense, there really is no difference. I have adapted to being taller than most people in all my classes since kindergarten, for instance. :)

And they are so honest! We sat in a circle discussing our thoughts about the play and whether we thought it would be a good idea to do the play over in May, and most people said that they thought the six performances we’ve done were enough. Now that’s pretty honest. I would expect a bunch of us hearing folks to frown upon that type of curtness. The thing is, in the deaf culture, that type of honesty doesn’t make the person seem unappreciative of the opportunity, it's just more realistic.

Oh, and I got a job. DHL’s newest International Shipment Researcher. Woot. And it was the HARDEST INTERVIEW EVER! Ugh. I hate interviews. I actually thought that I screwed up many times, but apparently I did very well. (Example: the position I got is two positions higher than the one for which I applied which was customer service, and it’s about $.2.50 per hour higher.) I'm working the backline of the department (there's also a front-line that will take the initial calls), so I’m basically taking all of the super-difficult situations and contacting the respective customs people and our stations in different countries to help me resolve things...

Yeah... Because I’m so good at dealing with super-difficult situations.

Did I just hear someone laugh?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home