Sunday, May 29, 2005

What if, for 24 hours, everyone was absolutely honest about every single thing? I'm talking about the childish honesty which comes without inhibitions created by shame. I wonder if everything would be okay the next day. (Isn't there anyone interested in being transparent?) I think the reservations people have with being honest about their "darkest" sins (often very common sins) would be remedied by knowing that everyone else has their own "darkest" issues, whether they are the same issues or otherwise.

This hypothetical situation would only work if everyone was honest at the same time, though. It's easy to be hypocritical and speak badly of someone when you haven't revealed anything, because you start to believe your own facade and join in the conversation about so-and-so, completely forgetting that you have struggled with the same thing or something worse.

I guess that's part of the benefit of my post from last Sunday. I've gotten far more responses than I expected, some positive, some not so positive. One person said, "man, you sure conceal things well."

For that, I'm glad I said something.

Now I'll think twice about gossiping about so-and-so, not just because it's just plain wrong, but because I know that I've provided evidence of my flesh that I can't fold back up and put in my pocket as if nothing was said. I'm comfortable not having a choice in that matter.

And to be fair, I'm not saying I've thought it through for an incredible amount of time, but I have thought about some. And I'm not saying I'm absolutely right in this. I'm just saying that I have good reason to believe it's true for me, because of the way my mind works.

A few people were actually encouraged by it, and I can't honestly say that was my intention either, but I'm so glad God used it that way. He's real. He knows you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home