Monday, November 03, 2003

Posts of substance have been lacking of late. Even among other blogs I usually read, but this event will be among the weirdest in my life for a long time.

My heart was heavy yesterday, and I was a bit weary and frustrated after the Bible study last night. So I actually came home, read through most of First and Second Corinthians, highlighted important stuff, and seriously, fervently worked toward some sensical conclusion on a few issues. This took about two hours, so I went to put some clothes in the dryer from the washer. Unfortunately, I washed my wallet and everything in it was soaked. There was a check in it, so I assumed it was ruined and dragged back to my room in lament over my would-have-been money. I decided I would let the check dry for a little while, which to my surprise actually worked, but the check was a little wrinkled still from the dampness, so I decided to put it in the back of my Bible to make it straight again.

Earlier that evening, when I was studying, I had opened two of the four drawers in my dresser to look for a highlighter, which I finally found in the top drawer, but I didn't close the drawers. When I later put the check in my Bible, I placed the Bible on the corner of the top drawer so I would see it this morning before work.

I laid down in prayer and prayed for certain things that needed the Lord's attention, but at the end I prayed that I would have good dreams and that the Lord would wake me up so I wouldn't be late for the first day of work. Besides, the only reason I stayed up until 1:30 was to read something he had for me to read, so I didn't think the request was unmeritted.

My alarm was already set for 6:40am and I didn't think it would have been a problem, except that after praying and thinking and praying and thinking, it was about 2am, and I'm a big sleeper. At 6:34 this morning, I was awakened by a violent, obscene thud, that probably woke the whole neighborhood! I jolted up, and from what I remember, I was in shock and stared at the mess for three or four minutes without moving, and with an open-mouthed, gasping sort of look on my face.

My entire dresser had fallen headlong on to my floor with all its contents slam shut inside the housing and everything on top had flown across my room! As I sat on my bed (after the three or four minutes of utter shock), I started rapidly thinking of anything that could have caused this.

I thought maybe the cat could have accidentally pushed it forward, but then I thought it would have been too heavy for him to push, and the space behind the dresser was way too narrow for a cat to enter. Then I remembered that I don't even have a cat, at which point I moved on to my next idea. I thought maybe my roommate was playing a terrible, horrible, no-good, dirty-rotten prank on me, where he just quickly opened my door pushed over my dresser, then closed the door and went back to bed before I saw him. Then I remembered that that's a rediculously stupid idea.

The whole time I was thinking that I must get up and fix the mess, but after I couldn't think of anything to have caused it, I assumed that my room was filled with demons and if I touched the thing, I would be touching something that was demonically influenced to fall over. And that just freaked me out tenfold what I had been prior.

After my mind stopped its overload cycle, I realized that it had been my careless placement of my huge Bible on the open top drawer that had caused the near-fatal (ok, maybe not) catastrophe. It was top heavy (since the bottom drawer was empty) and just fell over under too much stress. But... why had it kept its center of gravity for five hours? Why did it fall six minutes before my alarm went off? It certainly woke me up and literally petrified me for minutes after my awakening.

Then I remembered my prayer for Him to wake me up, and all was well. I cleaned up and started getting ready for work.
Thanks, Lord.

He even uses my mistakes for the good of me, who loves Him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home